Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Curriculum, Curriculum, OH so many choices!!

Well, for any of you that know me well enough, I need a 12 step program for curriculum junkies! Atleast, I used to! I get tired of researching to find the right fit for a certain kiddo to only find later that I just wasted a lot of money. And these days we are striving to be diligent stewards of God's resources, so curriculum mistakes are costly. I have to remind myself to consult my husband and pray and listen to what the Lord has to say. I seem to get into trouble when I rush ahead on my own plans :-) I'm sure none of you reading this post have EVER found yourselves in the same spot on an occasion or two?? Well, I am getting ready to start a switch that I have agonized about for months with Alec and Jack. Actually, we start tomorrow. The boys have been pouring over the new books and I have had to hide some of them to keep Alec from reading them all before we even start! I have decided after years with My Father's World, that we are switching to Heart of Dakota. The level we are using is Bigger hearts For His Glory and it covers American history. It is just right for Jack and where he places in writing, reading and language arts, and they have an extension package that lets Alec learn along with him but at a higher level. I think this is just what both boys are needing right now, so I am praying it is a good fit for us. Ryan and Olivia are going to be using the Diana Waring History Alive curriculum. They have been working through Romans, Reformers, Revolutionaries, and will start World Empires, World Missions, World Wars in October when it goes to print. The most astounding thing (and it truly is, just ask Taylor!!) is that I am following the HOD (Heart of Dakota) guide as written. What you might say, no tweaking, no substitutions?? No switching things around? NO, I am actually going with the plans. What a concept!! Well, I guess I should say, check back in a few weeks and we'll see where we are at!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment